100 books you must read before you grow up
Rosendale’s 100 classic children’s books
There are lots of lists of ‘100 books you must read before you grow up’ – chosen by experts, authors, readers and children themselves.
At Rosendale, we have chosen our own 100 classic books, selected by the whole of Rosendale’s community: children, staff, parents, grandparents, friends and relations.
The 100 books include:
- timeless classics of children’s literature that form part of our shared culture and language
- old and contemporary classics
- books of every genre
- books from every continent
- books that have won the major literary prizes for children’s writing
- some of the public’s all-time favourites.
How the Book Club works
Children work their way through the 100 classic books during their time at Rosendale.
When they’ve read a book (or had the book read to them), they rate it (1 to 5 stars) and write a short review or comment on the book club website. The book then appears on their personal electronic bookshelf and a counter ticks over to show how many of the 100 books they’ve finished.
The website allows children to:
- Track their progress – and follow the progress of their friends – through the 100 books
- Read one another’s reviews and comments
- Rank their current five favourite books for everyone to see.
- Our aim is that children leave Rosendale with the gift of having read a timeless body of classic literature.